Table of Contents
- 0.1 Caring for an electric skateboard
- 0.3 Things that should be avoided
Caring for an electric skateboard
How to take care of the battery?
Today’s electric skateboards run on lithium-ion batteries that are rechargeable, compact, and safe. It is essential to take care of the battery of your e-skateboard in order to increase its longevity and safety. Here are a few tips and instructions that you can follow to keep the battery safe and functional long-term:
· Unless you are especially knowledgeable on the mechanics of the battery, do not charge your skateboard’s battery with another manufacturer’s charger. If you absolutely need to, check the voltage of the charger and compare it to what your board can tolerate. Otherwise, the voltage of the substitute charger could burst the skateboard’s battery.
· Charge the lithium ion battery only at room temperature. You should avoid extremely high or low-temperature environments. For charging and storage, or even prolonged exposure in general. Moreover, freezing is one of the major concerns for lithium-ion batteries. That’s why you should not charge your electric skateboard in a garage or room where the temperature is freezing or below.
· Avoid moisture while charging the battery. You should use a dry place to charge the skateboard’s battery. Any amount of moisture or high levels of humidity can enter the battery compartment and cause problems.
What are the measures for charging?
· You should ensure charging the electric skateboard entirely before using it. When your skateboard is shipped, it is usually not charged fully.
· For maximizing the battery life, you should charge the battery completely, each time after use.
· Do not drain the battery completely, if at all possible. In the case where your battery is completely drained, it can significantly decreases the battery life due to excessive lithium discharge.
· If the electric skateboard will not be used for a long time, it is recommended to store it in a dry, cool room. You should also fully charge the battery and keep the power to a minimum of 80% for the best battery life and the fastest riding experience. It is also necessary to charge the board for a minimum of once every 20 days to maintain peak battery life.
· Do not charge an over-discharge lithium battery. It is a potential safety hazard. If you find that the battery is over-discharged, you should dispose it immediately.
Wheels and Motors
Wheels and motors are the two of the most vital components of an electric skateboard. Ensure that you keep these parts in the best shape.
· When you clean the motor, make sure to use a dry cloth.
· Ensure that no foreign materials such as soil or sand get inside the motor.
· It is also extremely essential that no water gets inside the engines. Attentive care should be used when cleaning the motors and wheels of an electric skateboard.
· If there is a need to replace the wheels, do it only when the profile is 5mm thick or less.
· Make sure that the pressure of the off-road tires is maintained anywhere between 35 psi and 50 psi.
How to clean the deck?
The deck of the electric skateboard is not very tough to take care of, and you can easily replace the entire deck when it is damaged beyond repair. Use a moist towel to clean any dirt or grime from the underside of the deck and the grip tape on the topside. The topside may be a bit harder to clean without damaging the grip tape. Make sure the towel is not too wet when cleaning your deck. Some other tools can be purchased for cleaning your electric skateboard as well.
It can be an issue if the decks are too wet due to prolonged exposure to moisture. In such a case, try to stand closer to the nose or tail of the electric skateboard. This can be helpful because landing on the mid of the skateboard will make it flex downwards, which might make the skateboard snap in half if the extreme moisture is bad enough.
How to clean the electric skateboard?
Cleaning an electric skateboard regularly is a must. Here are a few helpful tips that you should keep handy while cleaning it. Before you start cleaning the electric skateboard, make sure that it is turned off. Unplug the charging cable and also shut the charging port. Wipe the outer casing, which is the electric skateboard’s deck. Use a damp cloth to clean the casing. However, you should ensure that no water from the wet cloth gets inside the charging port. That is why you should only use a slightly damp cloth.
Things that should be avoided
There are a few things that should be kept away from your electric skateboard. It is crucial to keep these things in mind for your skateboard to in perfect shape. Water, dirt, grime, sand, and basically anything else aside from the charging components themselves should be kept away from the charging port.
Every skateboard is designed for a specific type of terrain, and that is why you cannot use just any electric skateboard for every kind of terrain. So make sure to read the instructions carefully and know which terrain yours is made for. Each board is designed to be the best on certain terrains.
No matter what the manufacturer of the electric skateboard claims, humidity and water are a big “no-no” for your electric skateboard. That is why you should keep it stored in dry places and wrapped up, if possible. You should probably refrain from using your electric skateboard when it is raining. Some electric skateboard brands claim they are designed for any and all weather conditions, but it is highly recommended to keep it away from water of any kind, including rain.
What kind of maintenance issues will I see?
There are only a couple of maintenance issues that you might notice in your electric skateboard:
· Batteries won’t charge
· damp deck
· squeaky trunks
· bad speed and acceleration
· clicking bearings
· wheels and trunks misaligned
· issues with low range
Repairs and servicing
When you know that your electric skateboard is not up and running as it should be; and you can’t manage to DIY, know that it is time to send it for repairing and servicing. It is always recommended to check with your manufacturer and see if your warranty covers fixing the problem with your electric skateboard. It is best to have it repaired by the manufacturers. They usually know the fundamental problem with the product and can help fix it so that the issues do not arise again. But in cases where you cannot contact the manufacturer or the warranty is up on your electric skateboard, you can always find a local skateboard shop that can fix it (1, 2).
It is wise to purchase your electric skateboard from a brand that has a website and offers proper maintenance and repair service. This helps you get the right services when your skateboard does not function correctly. So look for all the information online and research about the brand of an electric skateboard when you plan to purchase one. Doing so will ensure that you do not run into a cheap and unreliable brand. Go for a reliable brand only. You can also check customer reviews online to know which brands offer excellent customer service.
What are the things that you can fix yourself?
If you think you can fix any of the existing issues with your electric skateboard, and you are outside of the warranty, you could save some money by doing it yourself. However, if your electric skateboard is still in the warranty, you may be risking any future repair opportunities under warranty. Based on the brand of the electric skateboard, you can find relevant information on the brand’s website. That is why it is highly recommended that you go with a credible brand that has detailed information about repairs and maintenance. However, there are a few things that you can do it yourself and keep your electric skateboard up and running.
Some of these things that you can DIY are:
· fixing the loose nuts and trunks
· tightening the loose wheels or aligning the misaligned wheels
· sticking back the peeling grip tape
· cleaning the wheels, bearings, and batteries
However, if you feel that there are some issues with the speed of the skateboard or electrical components that are creating odd noises, you probably would not want to mess with that. Call for the professional help before further use (3).
So, the next time when you have any issue with your e-skateboard, keep these tips and tricks handy and keep your electric skateboard at peak performance.