When it comes to skateboarding, not all shoes are created equally. First of all, some shoes are better than other ar protecting your ankles. Next, they influence the board feel and grip, which can significantly impact your skateboarding. Lastly, this sport takes a big toll on your footwear, and if you’re not wearing the right gear, you will find yourself buying a new pair almost every week.
Table of Contents
How to Pick a Good Skate Shoe
There are several factors that you need to take into account when picking your shoes:
- Soles – you can pick between cupsoles or vulcanized soles. The first ones are more durable and offer more support and protection for your ankles. The vulcanized soles are cheaper and provide a better board feel.
- Height – When it comes to the shoes’ height, you have three choices: High Tops, Mid Tops, and Low Tops. The higher they are, the better the ankle protection. This comes at a price, though – freedom of movement. If you don’t hit your ankles with your board a lot, go with low tops, giving you the best mobility.
- Grip – If you want to stay on your board, you need shoes that provide a good grip. Skate shoes usually have either a herringbone tread or a waffle tread. These patterns help provide more grip, which in turn leads to fewer slips and fewer injuries.
- Toe Caps – These are important if you do a lot of kickflips. The plastic toe caps will help your shoes last longer and will even give you extra grip during the flips. If you do heelflips instead, the caps aren’t that important.
- Stitching – If you don’t want to buy new shoes every week, get a pair with double or even triple sticking, especially around the shoe’s nose and heel.
- Material – Lastly, you’ll want to buy shoes made out of suede and not canvas. Although much cheaper, the latter won’t last for long, especially if you do a lot of tricks on your board.
Louis Vuitton x Lucien Clarke Skate Shoe
If you’re looking to skate in style, you need the first even Louis Vuitton skate shoe. Officially named `A View,` this shoe was designed in collaboration with Jamaican professional skateboarder Lucien Clarke. This is the luxury brand’s first-ever skate shoe and has all the right ingredients to become an excellent skating sneaker and a must-have for every sneakerhead.
The shoe is designed with the ’90s style in mind but using the latest technology to give you the best skating results. It is made out of calf leather and technical textile with a technical foam and polyurethane sole to provide just the right cushioning and has been tested to withstand even the most challenging skating conditions. It is a Mid Top, so you get just the right combination between ankle protection and freedom of movement.
The Lucien Clarke X Louis Vuitton “A View” Skate Sneaker will be available as part of the Pre-Spring 2021 men’s collection. It will be available in 3 colorways: Blue, White and Orange, and Black and Orange.
New Balance Numeric Skate Shoe
The Numeric is New Balance’s line of shoes and clothing designed specifically for skaters. The first thing that you will notice about these shoes is that they are only available as OLow Tops, so you have to be careful not to hurt your ankles. This is probably the only downside of these skate shoes.
These shoes offer an excellent grip and board feel, although you will probably need a few minutes to get accustomed to them. The outsole is made out of high-quality rubber and has a hexagon pattern, while the insole is thin enough to offer you the best board feel, although not the best impact support.
Another great plus of the Numeric skate shoes is the durability. Both the nose and the heel area can withstand many kickflips and heelflips, while the outsole is very durable.
All in all, the Numeric is an excellent line of skate shoes. The only disadvantage is that you can’t find any Mid Tops if you need extra ankle protection.
Nike SB Shoe
The Nike SBs are probably the best skate shoes you can use. Throughout the years, Nike manufactured numerous various models that are much appreciated by the skating community. The Nike SB shoes are made only out of quality materials, which makes them durable enough. The outsole is rigid and provides excellent grip but sacrifices a bit of board feel.
The cushioning is an area where the Nike SB shines thanks to the Zoom Air unit in the heel.
The only real downside of the SB shoes is the suede on the front, which can’t withstand too many kickflips. Other than this, the SBs are some of the best shoes that you can skate in.
Clear Weather Skate Shoe
Clear Weather is a family-owned skateboarding shoe manufacturer that was born in 2014. Although the brand is not that famous, the quality of their sneakers is pretty good. Most of the Clear Weather shoes are vulcanized, which means you don’t have to worry about board feel. The upper is usually made just out of suede, making them very comfortable, although not the most durable for skaters who perform lots of kickflips.
All in all, Clear Weather makes great skating shoes. If you haven’t tried their products before, you need to buy at least a pair and see for yourself why so many skaters like them.
Picking the right shoe is important for all skaters. This will help you prevent unnecessary injuries and save a lot of money in the long run. Compared to other sneakers, skate shoes offer you extra protection and are manufactured to withstand even the harshest skating conditions. The Nike SB and New Balance Numeric are probably the best-known skate shoe lines on the market today, and you can’t go wrong by picking any of the products available. Alternatively, you can buy a Clear Weather, also a good choice or even the first Louis Vuitton skate shoe if you want to stand out.