Table of Contents
Basics For Beginners
It is advisable first to try learning on the regular skateboard before trying the electric one. The reason is that the regular one is the basic one. You can call it the A-B-C of skateboarding. Once you are comfortable with the regular one, move one to the faster, remote-controlled electric board. Now, its time for you to start your electrical ride!
• Get ready with all gears, helmet, proper clothing, and correct shoes.
• Step on the skateboard and maintain the correct stance. Your both feet should be a little apart with the backfoot squarely positioned. The front foot should be placed on the front with a little bit pointing outside.
• Get hold of your remote and find a perfect place to make the first move.
• Gently press the start button and start practicing with moderate speed on a straight line, applying brakes where needed.
• Focus on maintaining balance. It is an electric skateboard and does not require pedaling. Almost everything is controlled by the handheld remote.
• But, the remote will not make the skateboard stop abruptly. You have to lower the speed and then stop it. Slow it down, press the stop button and place the foot firmly on the ground to stop the board.
• You should be alert but not tense. Instead, relax and enjoy your new experience.
• When you are satisfied with your skating on straight lines, introduce light turning and carving. You can manage these light turns and curves by shifting your weight as required. Maintain low speed.
• Even when you feel you are comfortable operating the electric skateboard, do not rush things. The high speed of these electric ones is the biggest temptation that you need to resist. It takes quite a long time to master this equipment. So, wait till you are mentally and physically ready to accelerate and experience its speed.
• No matter how seasoned you are, don’t be reckless. It is a game and enjoys it like one. Take care of your body and acknowledge the presence of other skateboarders or people around you (1).
All major companies are launching new versions of the electric skateboards. These newer ones have latest features like a flexible deck, galaxy grip, less weight, with excellent performance, modern design, and incredible speed. You could transform your regular skateboard into an electric one with various sophisticated drives available in the market. It would give you great satisfaction to make your DIY electric skateboard.
These drives come with fantastic speed and performance ability and can be attached to almost all types of skateboards. However, it is highly recommended to carefully follow all instructions related to its attachment to regular skateboards. With these enticing skateboards, you want to fly. Your electric skateboard could take you uphill smoothly. You need to power it up and kick start the power control to start an uphill ride.
During any sport, it is common to fall and get hurt. It is natural for you to get minor scratches or cuts. But what you can do is take precautions to lessen the impact. This way, you might avoid any severe or unpleasant injury. Keep in mind these safety tips. Safety Tips For Electric Skateboards:
• Before using the board, check whether nuts, bolts, bearing, motor, tires, and the tape used for the grip is in good condition.
• Ensure that the surface of the board is smooth and in perfect shape. Any bump or wear and tear could disrupt your balance.
• You should replace any part that looks damaged due to wear and tear. In case of replacement of any part, buy the new one of the exact same size and specifications.
• Regularly lubricate the bearings for smooth functioning.
• Wear comfortable and good sports shoes.
• Do not leave it for charging overnight or for long-duration unattended. The skateboard is used for a sport. When you fall, some chances maybe the skateboard is also a little damaged. In this case, the damaged equipment might explode or catch fire.
Precautions While Riding
• Choose a safe place to practice your sport. A smooth surface which is less crowded would be perfect.
• Do not forget your protective gears as they would be your best friend during the ride. Wear helmet, gloves, wristbands, as well as elbow and knee pads so that they could protect you from serious injury.
• The remote of this device is your constant companion throughout the game. You should handle the handheld device properly to start, brake, and control the machine. Get to know all its features and controls thoroughly.
• Water is not suitable for the skateboard. The company might claim that its product is waterproof. But if water enters the motor, it will face problems. So, avoid using it while it is raining or even on a wet surface.
• You should be aware of the law regarding its use. The Federal Law has not restricted the use of these machines, but individual states have their laws regarding the use of skateboards and scooters. So, get to know the law prevailing in your city.
• Yes, don’t forget the local traffic rules while using it near a road. Look for potholes, debris, stones on the sidewalks that might make you fall.
• When riding in a crowded place like a park, make sure you do not hit anyone.
• Avoid indulging in this activity at night. If you still wish to do so, then opt for a well-lighted site and enjoy it in moderate speed. Remember, there is low visibility at night, which could lead to accidents.
• Lastly, maintain caution and be wise while using the skateboard. Don’t get carried away. You know your limits. Judge the speed, use, and control of the board as it is quite powerful (2, 3, 4).
What About Tricks?
Electric skateboards are known for speed and ease of commuting. These boards are much heavier than the regular ones. But, the concept that tricks are not possible with it is wrong. Once you are expert with electric skateboarding, you can try many skills like Boneless, Early Grab, Ghost Ride, The 180 Power Slide, the Chinese Nollie, and the Hand Flip.
Some tricks like Hippie jump and Dancing are even more comfortable on an electric skateboard. But remember your electric skateboard is heavier and more expensive than the regular ones. So, it is better to choose a regular skateboard for tricks (5).
What is The Difference between Riding An Electric Skateboard And Regular Skateboard?
The technology behind electric skateboards is just impressive. The control of this machine is in your hand, quite literally because it is regulated by a handheld remote.
The regular board has to controlled manually by pushing the board repeatedly, and with increased risks of accidents. So, you can call the electric ones safer. That is not all. The electric ones go up to the speed of around 20 mph. Now, that’s cool for a skateboard. That is why these are considered perfect for long commutations.
How can you forget the look and feel of these fantastic electric boards! Its stylish looks and speed make up an ideal partner for your trendy look. It is also more comfortable to ride it, taking you uphill and downhill smoothly. So, once you become an expert enjoy these long rides which are comfortable, safe, stylish, and managed by a remote. It is also a convenient, fuel-efficient, pollution-free way to travel.
Electric skateboards are no doubt heavy because of its motor. It is almost double the weight of regular ones. The availability of motor and remote make it an expensive buy too. When you have so many advantages of an electric skateboard, it is worth the price (See here).
Yes, these are expensive and heavy. But you will not mind these as you get to experience a sheer thrill while riding it. The electric board is a wonder with its exceptional performance, terrific speed, and added safety. You can commute long distances with ease. It gives you wings to fly when you have the controls in your hand. But, don’t forget you have to be cautious during the enjoyable ride. Be careful and fly high with these supercool electric skateboards.